Tips for product selection
Modular fixturing vs. dedicated fixturing
In most cases machining a workpiece requires more than one fixture.
The fixture for a specific workpiece and a specific machining operation can be built by using modules for modular fixturing or dedicated fixturing.
A dedicated fixture is workpiece-specific, whereas a system built of generic-purpose components can be set up for a variety of workpieces.
Fixture built from modular fixturing components
- Modular system
- Off-the shelve availability of modules
- Possible modifications can be limited to individual modules
- Setup change can be normally done simply by moving the stop modules
- Fixture can be easily optimized by any relevant criteria
- Even most extreme workpieces can be clamped
- Setup change must be done by changing the fixture
In addition to these extremes, many fixturing challenges can be solved using an innovative mix of dedicated and modular components